Valentines of Dundee Ltd
- See the: Brief Description of this material
- How to: Access These Materials
- See the: Contact details for the Repository
- See the: Location details for the Repository
|This material is held at||University of St Andrews|
|Reference Number(s)||GB 227 ms38562|
|Dates of Creation||1896-1982|
|Name of Creator||Valentines of Dundee Ltd|
|Physical Description||1.93 linear metres. The records are on paper.|
Scope and Content
Minute books and meetings attendance books 1930-1982, directors' report and accounts 1896-1959, accounts 1896-1971, share records 1896-1975.
Administrative / Biographical History
The company Valentine & Sons was established in 1851 by Mr James Valentine (1814-1879), the son of Mr John Valentine, engineer of wood blocks for linen printing, Dundee. The firm began as early exponents of photography, became pioneers in the postcard industry and later developed the production of greetings cards, novelties, calendars and illustrated children's books.
James Valentine began in business aged 17 as an engraver. He began to practice Daguerrotype photography, first as an amateur, as an aid to engraving. He was soon proficient and began to take views and portraits in c.1850. He went to Paris to train under M. Bulow, one of the most skilful photographers in that city. On his return to Dundee he set up a studio in the High Street. He received a commission from the Queen to photograph a set of 40 views of Highland scenery and in 1868 was appointed as the Royal Photographer.
James Valentine's sons were both early to develop skills in photography and by 1879 they were in great demand, having grown into one of the largest establishments in the country. In 1897 the government allowed correspondence to be written on the reverse of a postcard. This coincided with Valentine's success in collotype printing, a lithographic technique which mechanically reproduced images for printing as postcards. By the end of the century, Valentines had established the perfect method for cheap reproduction of postcards. They were also able to use their immense collection of topographical negatives to issue series after series of scenes from throughout Britain.
By the early 1900s they also had a growing trade in Christmas cards and children's books and had begun to publish fancy cards. In 1908 they became the official postcard publishers for the international Franco-British exhibition at the White City, and began to publish exhibition cards which are noted for their high quality of design. By the time of the First World War they had become a world-wide name with office branches in Canada, South Africa, Australia, America and Norway. In the 1920s they expanded their trade in Christmas cards and calendars and then in greetings cards which forms the basis of their business today. In 1963 the company became a subsidiary of John Waddington Ltd.
Records are arranged chronologically within series.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act and any other appropriate legislation.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges are made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply.
Transferred from the University of Dundee in October 2002.
Other Finding Aid
Alternative Form Available
No known copies.
GB 227 phJV The Valentine photographic collection.
Existence/Location of Originals
The material is original.
|Greeting cards industry|
|Valentine James 1814-1879 Photographer|
|Valentines of Dundee Ltd Dundee Greeting card manufacturers|
|Valentine & Sons Dundee 1851- Photographers|
|Title||Valentines of Dundee Ltd|