Society for Photographing Relics of Old London
Reference and contact details: GB 392 LONDON COLLECTION MANUSCRIPTS/45
Title:Society for Photographing Relics of Old London
Dates of Creation: 1875-1886
Held at: Bishopsgate Institute
Extent: 3 large boxes
Language of Material: English
Name of Creator: Society for Photographing Relics of Old London
Level of Description: fonds
The Society for Photographing Relics of Old London originated in the wish of a few friends to preserve a record of the 'Oxford Arms' Inn, threatened with destruction in 1875, and actually demolished a few years later. The project, mentioned in The Times, was so well received, that it enabled the Society to follow up the first issue, and later on to double the annual number of photographs. By the twelfth years issue, published in April 1886, it was considered the project had reached its completion.
Scope and Content
Set of large, card-backed photographs, taken between 1875 and 1886, and published by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London (April 1886), including:
- 1. Entrance of the 'Oxford Arms' Inn; 2. 'Oxford Arms' Inn; 3. Entrance of the 'Oxford Arms' Inn; 4. Upper Gallery of the 'Oxford Arms' Inn; 5. One of the staircases at the 'Oxford Arms' Inn; 6. General view of the galleries at the 'Oxford Arms' Inn (originally issued 1875)
- 7. Old houses in Wych Street; 8. Old houses in Wych Street; 9. Old houses in Drury Lane; 10. Old houses in Drury Lane; 11. Lincoln's Inn Gate House; 12. Lincoln's Inn: Old Square (originally issued 1876)
- 13. Churchyard of St Bartholomew, Smithfield; 14. Churchyard of St Bartholomew, Smithfield; 15. Green Churchyard, St Bartholomew, Smithfield; 16. Window at the east end of St Bartholomew, Smithfield; 17. North side and 'Poors Churchyard' at St Bartholomew, Smithfield; 18. North side and 'Poors Churchyard' at St Bartholomew, Smithfield (originally issued 1877)
- 19. Temple Bar; 20. 102 Leadenhall Street; 21. Old houses in Gray's Inn Lane; 22. Shop in Brewer Street, Soho; 23. The Sir Paul Pindar, Bishopsgate Street; 24. Old house in Holborn / Staple Inn, Holborn front (originally issued 1878)
- 25. Canonbury Tower; 26. Canonbury Tower; 27. Barnard's Inn; 28. Barnard's Inn; 29. Barnard's Inn; 30. Old houses in Aldergate Street; 31. Old houses in Aldergate Street; 32. Shaftesbury House, Aldersgate Street; 33. Christ's Hospital; 34. Christ's Hospital; 35. Churchyard of St.Lawrence Pountney; 36. Old houses in Great Queen Street (originally issued 1879)
- 37. General view from Charterhouse Square; 38. Charterhouse: Washhouse Court; 39. Charterhouse: Washhouse Court; 40. Charterhouse: The Cloisters; 41. Charterhouse: The Great Hall; 42. Charterhouse: The Great Hall; 43. Charterhouse: The Great Hall; 44. Charterhouse: The Great Hall; 45. Charterhouse: The Grand Staircase; 46. Charterhouse: The Governor's Room; 47. Charterhouse: Entrance to the Chapel; 48. Charterhouse: Founder's Tomb (originally issued 1880)
- 49. King's Head Inn yard; 50. King's Head Inn yard; 51. White Hart Inn yard; 52. White Hart Inn yard; 53. George Inn yard; 54. Queen's Head Inn yard; 55. Queen's Head Inn yard; 56. Old houses in Borough High Street, Southwark; 57. St Mary Overy's Dock; 58. Old houses in Bermondsey Street; 59. Sion College, London Wall; 60. Oxford Market (originally issued 1881)
- 61. Little Dean's Yard; 62. Ashburnham House: Exterior; 63. Ashburnham House: The Staircase; 64. Ashburnham House: The Staircase; 65. Ashburnham House: The Ante-room; 66. Ashburnham House: The Dining Room; 67. Ashburnham House: The Garden; 68. The Banquesting House, Whitehall; 69. The Water Gate of York House; 70. Lincoln's Inn Fields; 71. Lincoln's Inn Fields; 72. Lincoln's Inn Fields (originally issued 1882)
- 73. Lambeth Palace: The Gate House; 74. Lambeth Palace: The Great Hall; 75. Lambeth Palace: The Lollards' Tower; 76. Old House, Palace Yard, Lambeth; 77. Old houses, Aldgate; 78. Old houses, Aldgate; 79. 'The Golden Axe', St Mary Axe; 80. No.37 Cheapside; 81. No.73 Cheapside; 82. Old house, Great Ormond Street; 83. Old house, Queen Square, Bloomsbury; 84. Shop, Macclesfield Street, Soho (originally issued 1883)
- 85. Old houses, Fleet Street; 86. The 'Old Bell', Holborn; 87. The 'Old Bell', Holborn; 88. St Giles, Cripplegate; 89. Old house, Fore Street; 90. Old house, Great Winchester Street; 91. Austin-Friars; 92. Staircase of Austin-Friars; 93. Doorways, Laurence Pountney Hill; 94. College Street; 95. Innholders Hall; 96. Doorway, College Hill (issued 1884)
- 97. Inner Temple; 98. Inner Temple; 99. Inner Temple; 100. Middle Temple; 101. Middle Temple; 102. Middle Temple; 103. Gray's Inn; 104. Gray's Inn; 105. Clement's Inn: Garden House; 106. Clifford's Inn; 107. Staple Inn Hall; 108. Six small subjects (originally issued 1885)
- 109. St John's Gate, Clerkenwell; 110. Old houses in The Strand; 111. Great St Helen's, Bishopsgate Street; 112. Tennis Court, James Street, Haymarket; 113. Emanuel Hospital, Westminster;
- 114. Queen Anne's Gate; 115. Chimney-piece, Sessions House, Clerkenwell; 116. Chimney-piece, Court House, St Andrew's, Holborn; 117. Chimney-piece, Tallow Chandler's Hall; 118. Court room, New River Company; 119. Three doorways; 120. Five small subjects (missing) (issued 1886).
System of Arrangement
No further arrangement.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collected by C.W.F.Goss as part of the Institute's London Collection.
Documents cannot be photocopied at present. Digital photography (without flash) is permitted for research purposes on completion of the Library's Copyright Declaration form and with respect to current UK copyright law.
Collection Level Description.
Entry compiled by Stefan Dickers.