GB 0003 DM 104
Title: Deeds of Kingswood Abbey
Dates of creation: 1225-1444
Held at: University of Bristol Special Collections
Extent: 1 archive box
Name of Creator: Kingswood Abbey, Gloucestershire
Level of Description: fonds
Language of Material: eng lat
Kingswood Abbey was founded in 1139 by William of Berkeley in accordance with the wishes of his uncle, Roger II of Berkeley, and colonised from the Cistercian house at Tintern. The grant was confirmed by Roger III of Berkeley, son of William, in 1148. The monks moved to Hazleton during the Civil War after Kingswood was confiscated by King Stephen, but were driven back to Kingswood by the owner of Hazleton, Reginald de St. Waleric. As penance, Reginald moved the monks to Tetbury. Roger III complained that his predecessor had founded the abbey, and he would have his lands back unless the monks returned. After a long dispute, the monks were granted a better site at Kingswood near the water, and a new abbey was built. The monastery was surrendered in 1538.
The deeds cover the period 1225-1444, and include grants of land to the abbey, confirmation of grants, accounts of receipt and expenditure, confirmations of privileges, and papal letters.
The fifty deeds concerned were collected and bound by Francis Frederick Fox.
Purchased at auction by University of Bristol Special Collections in 1945.
Accessible to all bona fide readers.
Permission must be obtained from University of Bristol Special Collections.
See also DM 121, housed with DM 104 - a written transcript and summary of the Kingswood Abbey deeds compiled by Henley Evans in 1946.
Reputed to contain the oldest surviving Rent Rolls in England.
Typescript catalogue available in University of Bristol Special Collections.