Lyston Lyle Scrapbook Collection
- See the: Brief Description of this material
- How to: Access These Materials
- See the: Contact details for the Repository
- See the: Location details for the Repository
|This material is held at||V&A Department of Theatre and Performance|
|Reference Number(s)||GB 71 THM/348|
|Dates of Creation||1904-1915|
|Name of Creator||Lyston Lyle|
|Language of Material||English|
|Physical Description||5 volumes (2 boxes)|
Scope and Content
These scrapbooks contain national newspaper, magazine and periodical cuttings relating to theatrical productions Lyle appeared in.
The scrapbooks contain materials referring to the following productions:
- Scrapbook 1: The Little Damozel, Wyndham's Theatre (1909) and Alias Jimmy Valentine, Comedy Theatre (1910). Scrapbook also contains some personal effects including dinner invitations to Windsor Castle and Sandringham.
- Scrapbook 2: Eccentric Lord Comberdene, St James's Theatre (1910), The Witness for the Defense, St. James's Theatre (1911) and The Easiest Way, Glasgow Theatre Royal (1912).
- Scrapbook 3: The Hope, Theatre Royal Drury Lane (1911) and A Place in the Sun, Comedy Theatre (1913).
- Scrapbook 4: The Dust of Egypt, Wyndham's Theatre (1912), Lady Noggs, Comedy Theatre (1913), My Lady's Dress, Royalty Theatre (1914), Gambler's All, Wyndham's Theatre (1915) and Raffles, Wyndham's Theatre (date unknown).
- Scrapbook 5: The New Shylock, Lyric Theatre (1914) and Thing's We'd Like to Know, Apollo Theatre (1914).
Administrative / Biographical History
Lyston Lyle, whose real name was Edward Gibson, was a sucessful character actor and actor-manager on the West End stage from the turn of the 19th century until the 1910s. A contemporary and friend of theatrical luminaries Charles Hawtrey and Sir Gerald DuMaurier, Lyle was also the actor-manager at Wyndham's Theatre for a time.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for consultation in the V&A Department of Theatre and Performance's Reading Room, which is located at Blythe House, 23 Blythe Rd, Olympia, London, W14 0QX. The Reading Room is open Tuesday to Friday between 10.15 am and 4.30 pm. Access to it is by appointment only. To request an appointment please email email@example.com or telephone 020 7942 2698.
Access to some of these files may be restricted. These are identified at file level.
Conditions Governing Use
Archival material may not be photocopied. Arrangements can be made to photograph material in the reading room using non-flash photography.
This collection was appraised in line with the collection management policy.
No further accruals are expected.
See also the core collections of the V&A Theatre and Performance Department. Material relating to Lyston Lyle performances may be found in the production and photograph files, as well as in the library collections.
Please ask for details.
|Title||Lyston Lyle Scrapbook Collection|
|Creation||Created by Veronica Castro using the cheshire for archives ead creation tool 2012-05-11|