Bognor Regis College
- See the: Brief Description of this material
- How to: Access These Materials
- See the: Contact details for the Repository
- See the: Location details for the Repository
|This material is held at||Bognor Regis College|
|Reference Number(s)||GB 2970 BRC|
|Dates of Creation||1946-1977|
|Name of Creator||Bognor Regis College|
|Language of Material||English|
|Physical Description||14 meters of shelving. As well as containing printed resources the archive contains videos, slides and ephemera.|
Scope and Content
The archives contain official records from administrative meetings, these include: The minutes of the Academic Board, Sub-Committee Meetings. The collection also includes official publications printed by the college such as, student's union publications, prospectuses etc. Also included are records of staff, students and associates as well as correspondence. The collection includes financial and personnel record's in the form of the official account books and job descriptions. Accompanying the written records there is a large collection of photographs, which include pictures of staff, students and college events.
Administrative / Biographical History
Bognor Regis College was officially opened in 1946 and was known as the Bognor Regis Training College. The college was initially administered by West Sussex County Council and maintained by the Ministry for Education.
The College was originally set-up as part of the 'Emergency Training Scheme' to help overcome a shortage of teachers made necessary by the 1944 Education Act. The scheme invited men and women who had served in the forces or who had received other forms of National Service training to enroll for a 58-week course to be trained as a teacher.
In 1949 the college became a permanent training college and took in students on a two-year training programme. The following year the college examinations came under the regulations of Reading Institute of Higher Education, however in 1952 the decision was made to change the examinations regulating body to Southampton University. The year, 1961 marked the end of the two-year course and from then on the training course would be three years in length.
The college continued to grow and expand during the 1950's and 1960's. This was witnessed by the addition to the site of many new buildings that included a dining hall, kitchen, library, music block, science block, art studio, gymnasium and a new hostel.
The college was initially steered by the Governing Body and the first Principal until his retirement in 1966. However, in order to expand a re-organisation of the college administration took place in 1966 when the Governing Body agreed the implementation of the Academic board. A new principal was also appointed in 1966 and was to steer the college towards becoming an Institution of Higher Education in 1977. Other changes in the administrative structured occurred in 1969 when a new Board of Governors was formed.
Between 1966 and 1977 the college expanded rapidly both in terms of student numbers and accommodation. A significant development in 1967 was the opening of the Crawley Annex for mature students, known as the 'Three Bridges Outpost'. Also of significance was the introduction of the Bachelor of Education degree the first students graduating in 1969 with a B. Ed award validated by the University of Southampton. In 1973 the college offered the option of a new degree validated by the Council for National Academic Awards (C.N.A.A.) thereby offering students two types of degree courses as well as the one-year Teachers Certificate.
In 1973 negotiations on a merger began to take place with Bishop Otter College in Chichester as a result of a government White Paper proposing that colleges of education should reach a 'critical size'. Each college would prepare its own report on the merger and a working party was formed. On the 31st August 1977 the College joined with Bishop Otter College to form the West Sussex Institute of Higher Education.
Students and staff were always encouraged to play an active role in the college's development. From its opening the Students Union played a key role in both the social and administrative role of the college. Once students finished their studies they were invited to become a member of the 'Old Students Association'. The association gives former students the chance to still keep in contact with the developments of the college, receive newsletters and attend annual reunion events.
The collection is still held on the original site however since its origin the college has under gone several name changes. From 1977 until 1994 the College continued to be known as the 'West Sussex Institute of Higher Education'. Since then the college has since changed its name becoming 'Chichester Institute of Higher Education' in 1995, 'University College Chichester' in 2000, and the 'University of Chichester' in 2005.
The arrangement of the fonds has been maintained and arranged to reflect the administrative structure of Bognor Regis College.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Sarah Lake, Bognor Regis Campus, University of Chichester, Upper Bognor Road, Bognor Regis PO19 6PE. Tel: 01243 816 087 Email: email@example.com.
Janet Carter is on maternity leave. Contact Janet after September 15th 2010 J.Carter@chi.ac.uk.
Conditions Governing Use
Reproduction of these documents is at the discretion of the Head of Library Services and is subject to copyright.
All the archives that were transferred to the University of Chichester have now been preserved.
Transferred ownership to the University of Chichester.
It is possible that further documents will be found and added to this collection.
The description was prepared by J.Carter
Other Finding Aid
A Microsoft Access Database is available to accompany these records.
See also the records of Bishop Otter College, West Sussex Institute of Higher Education, Chichester Institute of Higher Education, University College Chichester, University of Chichester, West Sussex County Council, the University of Reading and the University of Southampton.
|Title||Bognor Regis College|
|Creation||Fri Jun 13 15:17:22 UTC+0100 2003|