The British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists was founded in September 1929 by Professors William Blair-Bell and William Fletcher Shaw, for "The encouragement of the study and the advancement of the science and practice of obstetrics and gynaecology". From its founding, the care and safety of women in childbirth improved, standards of healthcare delivery for women in hospitals were properly assessed, and obstetrics and gynaecology became a recognised part of the final examination for medical students. The College was granted a 'Royal' title by His Majesty King George VI in 1938 and the Royal Charter was awarded in 1947.
The College has always recognised the importance of maintaining its heritage collections, which include a library, a rare book collection, a museum, and an archive of College records as well as deposited records relating to the specialty of obstetrics and gynaecology. In 2011 the archive and library of the Royal College of Midwives moved to the RCOG to be managed and reopened to public research.
16 entries have been submitted to the Hub, providing an overview of the growing collection of RCOG records. These document the RCOG's continuous interaction with the Government and professional bodies to improve standards in women's healthcare at home and overseas, and its commitment to ensuring good standards of medical education and continuing professional development in obstetrics and gynaecology. Further submissions to the Hub are intended, in particular to cover the records of the Royal College of Midwives, and the special deposited collections to both colleges relating to the history of midwifery, obstetrics and gynaecology.
Address: 27 Sussex Place, Regent's Park, London, NW1 4RG.
Telephone: +44(0)20 7772 6381
Fax: +44 (0)202 7262 8331