Glasgow School of Art
Glasgow School of Art is one of the last remaining independent art schools in Britain. It was originally established as a government School of Design and opened in January 1845. With funding from the Haldane Trust the School was able to initiate teaching in the fine arts and was incorporated as the Glasgow School of Art in 1892. For over 150 years the School has occupied a central role in the education of artists, designers and architects, through teaching and research. For the last century the School has been based in and around a world famous building designed specifically for the School by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
The Glasgow School of Art Archives were set up in 1994 to select and preserve the School's historically significant records and make them available to researchers. The archives are continually being expanded, as the School's non-current records are identified for permanent preservation and through the deposit of material from related individuals and organisations.
The collections on the Hub reflect the institutional history of GSA and the School's position as a specialist repository for archive collections relating to art, design, architecture, and art education. They are a wonderful resource for charting developments in these fields and for studying many of the important and influential figures involved in them. The collections are also useful for anyone interested in local, social or institutional history and even family history. They include the papers of the Directors of the School and photographic and textile collections.
Special feature: The Big Draw